A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £30,938
Conceived as a replacement for the traditional T-Series MGs, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1,489cc B-Series engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette. Initially, this engine produced 68bhp at 5,500rpm, although this was later raised to 72bhp at the same revs to further improve performance. Running gear was based on that of the TF, with independent front suspension and a live rear axle, but as far as its road manners were concerned, the far superior MGA was in an entirely different league. Clad in a stylish aerodynamic body and capable of topping 95mph, the MGA proved an instant hit, selling 13,000 units in its first full year of production.
In common with the majority of MGAs in 1957, the car offered here was off to sunny California from new and was to remain there until the early nineties when it was purchased by MGA guru Bob West and returned to sunny Yorkshire. He sold it to a close local friend who over the following six years, with some help and assistance from Bob, restored it to a very high standard.
The car was completely dismantled and every part was either refurbished or replaced using many O.E (Original Equipment) parts. The engine was professionally restored and was lightened, balanced, and converted to run on lead-free fuel. The gearbox is a standard four-speed but the differential was upgraded to a 3.9/1 ratio for more comfortable high-speed cruising. Naturally, the carburettors, brakes, suspension and all the electrics were completely gone through and whilst everything was out, it was converted properly to right-hand drive using OE BMC parts. It's finished in Orient Red with a Black leather interior piped in Red and the paintwork and the interior including the Hood, Side-Screens, and Tonneau cover remain in excellent order, clearly illustrating the quality of the twenty-years-old restoration.
So all in all a great little MGA that has only covered just over six thousand miles since the restoration. It's been enjoyed by two owners in the last twenty years who, patently, have both cherished it. To quote Bob West “ The car drives beautifully and will not disappoint, its an ex MG Car Club Concours winner, the detailing is properly done with all the correct fasteners, and it's been maintained regardless of cost.”
It comes with a massive history folder full of receipts, and photographs of the restoration, and some useful spares, that include the OE parts to convert it back to left-hand drive if the new owner so wishes.
Good looking, easy to maintain, and quintessentially British, MGAs offer real driving pleasure on the open road and make great entries into local rallies and club events. This older restoration is gently patinated and nicely settled and with its slightly more powerful engine and raised axle ratio would make a classic cruiser, par excellence.