A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £15,500
When the MGA arrived in 1955, it must have come as quite a shock to MG aficionados who had become accustomed to the pre-war look of the company's sports cars. It was a complete departure in styling and its beautiful streamlined body was right up to the minute in terms of appearance. It was powered by a new engine; MG had decided that the old XPAG unit had had its day and so introduced a much more modern B Series engine that had made its debut in the recently announced Magnette saloon. The 'A' was officially launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955. Only 5,869 cars were sold on the home market, giving the MGA the highest export percentage of any British car and the much-loved model was replaced by the MGB in May 1962.
In May 1959 the standard cars received an updated engine, now at 1588cc producing 79.5bhp. At the front disc brakes were fitted, but drums remained in the rear.
The car presented here is 1961 Mk 1 MGA 1600 Coupe, and is a UK-supplied, right-hand drive example fresh from a full nut and bolt, bare-metal exacting restoration. Presented in its original Chariot Red, with a red interior, it was purchased by an MG enthusiast in 2012 with a view to restoring it. A move overseas meant the project stalled, but not before he sourced a period-correct 1588cc engine, having this, the gearbox and clutch, fully rebuilt by marque specialists Moto-Build Racing Ltd. in Surrey. The car retains some refreshing patina in places, having an original interior and many period features in keeping with its charm and sheer usability as a fun classic car. The project was recently completed and the car is ready to use and enjoy. With accompanying invoices, some history and its original green logbook, there is much to recommend this car.
Seriously pretty and quintessentially British, MGAs offer real driving pleasure on the open road and make great entries into local rallies and club events.