A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £28,125
1942 Ford GPW that has only completed 375 miles since a full nut and bolt restoration Finished in authentic Olive Drab with accurate USA stencil markings A working winter canvas top with full and half doors and safety straps has been fitted Period shovel/axe, blackout light, 'Jerry' can, F-scripted pintle hook, rifle holder, and an MP-50 rear antenna mount Well equipped. Correct full GPW toolkit including jack and wheel brace, starting handle, tyre pump, oil can, grease gun and lubrication chart, tow rope, 1942 canvas bucket, and fire extinguisher In early 1940, the United States Department of War had determined it needed a light, cross-country, four-wheel drive, reconnaissance vehicle and was anxious to have one in time for, what may possibly turn out to be, America's entry into World War II in Europe. The U.S. Army solicited proposals from domestic car manufacturers for a replacement for its existing, ageing, light motor vehicles, mainly motorcycles and sidecars, and some Ford Model Ts. Recognizing the need to create standard specifications, the Army formalised its requirements on July 11, 1940, and submitted them to 135 U.S. automotive manufacturers. It's a matter of history that ultimately two manufacturers were successful, Willys with their MB (US quarter-ton Army truck) and later, Ford with their GPW (in production designated GP.) Impressively the time taken from conception and tenders being sent out, to the production lines starting to roll, was less than two hundred days, amazing for a vehicle that has stood the test of time and become an unlikely motoring icon. This ability to get things done quickly and well was the deciding factor in America being asked to produce military hardware in vast numbers and build hundreds of ships, arguably influencing the outcome of the Second World War. As the war progressed Willys-Overland produced over 300,000 Jeeps and the Ford Motor Co. was drafted in to help boost production and contributed over 250,000 units. Ford assembled Jeeps were recognizable by their pressed steel grilles as opposed to the Willys' slatted grille. On offer here is a 1942 Ford GPW that has only completed 375 miles since a full nut and bolt restoration with photographic evidence in the accompanying history file. Numerous 'F-scripted' bolts, panels and parts are in evidence plus many period extras along with an age-related registration number. A full, Ford-correct, engine rebuild was carried out including preparing the cylinder head to run on lead-free fuel. The gearbox was rebuilt along with the front and rear axles and the Jeep was fitted with a concealed 12volt alternator and Ignition/lighting system, the correct 'combat' split-rims, and correct Speedwell Bargrip tyres. A working winter canvas top with full and half doors and safety straps has been fitted and the look is completed by a period shovel/axe, blackout light, 'Jerry' can, F-scripted pintle hook, rifle holder, and an MP-50 rear antenna mount complete with aerial rods. It's particularly well equipped with a correct full GPW tool kit including jack and wheel brace, starting handle, tyre pump, oil can, grease gun and lubrication chart, tow rope, 1942 canvas bucket, jerry can, and fire extinguisher, and has been fitted with a trailer socket. Finished in authentic Olive Drab and USA stencil markings, there are very few vehicles that can 'cut the mustard' at any Blue Riband event for this financial outlay quite like a WWII Jeep. Every rural car show in the country now has a section for Military Vehicles, and with WWII re-enactments and the prestigious classic car meetings, all clamouring for 1940's Jeeps, this stunningly well-restored example could keep you busy for the rest of the Summer.