A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
In 1970, Ford opened their Advanced Vehicles Operation at Aveley in Essex and this was dedicated to the production of the Escort RS range. It also marked the formation of Ford's RS Dealer network to sell these products to a very eager public. For the first time ever, professional teams and privateers alike could compete on an equal footing, so even the 'clubman' equipped with his RS Parts catalogue had reason to be optimistic. The Ford Escort RS1600 BDA would dominate the World Rally Championship for several years and turn British and Scandinavian drivers into household names. During the next decade the continued success of the Escort rally program helped it remain as the best selling car in the UK, and in conjunction with the well-balanced and sporting nature of the rest of the range, even Ford Detroit were starting to refer to the British Isles as "treasure island". Offered here is an ex-Ford Press Car Department, RS1600 finished in Tawny with a black and grey interior. A copy of the green log book has 'Ford Motor Company, Warley' listed as the first owner until 8-8-1972 and the history file contains copies of period road tests. The complete line of ownership is recorded on file culminating in the penultimate owner, when in 2009 it was sold to Jeremy Smith, the AVO Owners Club registrar. He sold the RS to our vendor in 2013 making a total of five previous owners. In 1988 it was restored by Wharncliffe Motor Engineers and remains today as an excellent older restoration. It still retains its original BDA engine, air box and chassis plate, and importantly its Chelmsford registration synonymous with all significant Ford Public Affairs Department press cars.At this guide, the RS1600 represents a great opportunity to own an important piece of Ford history and a homologation car that defined rallying in the seventies.