A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £189,000
The XK150 'S' was introduced in 1958 and is widely regarded as the culmination of Jaguar's engineering achievements with the XK series. Indeed, the specification of the XK150 S undoubtedly paved the way for the E-Type that replaced it in 1961. The "S" boasted triple SU carburettors, a revised Harry Weslake-modified cylinder head, and a manual 4-speed overdrive transmission. Performance was seriously impressive for 1958 with an enhanced output of 250bhp and a top speed of 132 mph. This Jaguar XK150 Drophead Coupe is one of just 37 right-hand drive examples ever produced. According to the Heritage Certificate, the car was manufactured on 29th May 1959 and delivered to Henlys of London a little over three weeks later. The numerous service records on file date back to June 1961 and show that the Jaguar was previously road registered as 'XMT 150' and 'MRA 363' before acquiring its current '1552 MW' number plate the following year. Invoices in the history issued by F.W. Mays & Co. Ltd of Dorking, Surrey, show previous owners in the 1960s including Messrs Aird, Grogan and Lines. The Jaguar spent the next twenty-odd years in the possession of Chelsea resident, Jonathan Morse Esq. It was entrusted to his neighbouring Burgess Garage of Drayton Gardens, London SW10 between November 1970 and June 1975. The 150 benefited from routine maintenance and an extensive engine overhaul at 39,190 miles (reground crankshaft, rebored block, new timing chain, pistons, bearings, valves etc in January 1971). Extensive paperwork on file shows significant maintenance carried out by Mr Morse during the 1980s, including regular oil and fluid changes as well as new disc brakes in 1983, a Falcon stainless steel exhaust in 1988, overhauled springs in 1988 and fresh wishbone bushes in 1989. Further renovation work took place in the early 1990s, including various chassis repairs (new L/H sill, steel floor / tunnel, battery boxes and L/H pillar / box channel etc) undertaken by Kats of Kimpton, Herts. A complete strip and overhaul of the car's four-speed manual gearbox and overdrive units by Alan R. George of Clunderwen, Dyfed took place at 77,534 miles. Further invoices on file in this period show the fitting of a new clutch master / slave cylinders, reconditioned fuel pumps and a replacement petrol tank. The XK150 'S' was then sold to its next registered keeper, N. Lawrence Esq of Wayford, Crewkerne by Camberley Marine & Sportscars Ltd on 6th July 1993. Having part-exchanged an Aston Martin DB5 to help fund its purchase, Mr Lawrence commissioned the Jaguar Restoration Centre of Bridport, Dorset to rejuvenate the XK150 'S' shortly thereafter. Fitted with fresh door skins and sidelight pods etc, the car was refinished in its original livery / trim combination, with a full body-off respray by Wren Classics of Shaftesbury, Dorset in stunning Pearl Grey with red leather upholstery and a black hood. Sporting refurbished chrome work and replacement wire wheels, the car also gained a new mohair hood envelope and crank damper in 1995 and 1998 respectively. Wren Classics carried out some further work including some paintwork and brake system fettling during May 2003, while various old MoT certificates show that the Jaguar's odometer reading rose from 77,536 miles to 79,681 miles between May 1992 and September 2009. Bought by its most recent keeper from JD Classics, the car benefited from preparation and a thorough overhaul by them prior to being sold. Believed to have covered just over 80,000 miles from new, this Drophead Coupé's last major outing was a 500-mile round trip to the Goodwood Revival. Boasting matching engine, chassis and body numbers, this ultra-rare, home market XK150 'S' 3.4 Drophead Coupé is offered for sale with operating, maintenance, and service handbook (plus supplement), numerous bills / invoices and has been maintained to the very highest standards.