A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £112,700
The XK120 was launched in 1948 and was an international sensation. The XK finally put Jaguar on the world stage and the racing derivatives would be the beginning of a hugely successful period for the company. The XK150 was the final incarnation of the XK and appeared in May 1957. A more refined and capable machine than its predecessors, the 150 was easily identifiable by its higher scuttle and door line, wider grille and improved interior space. However, the XK150 retained much of the mechanical layout of the XK140 sharing the same 3.4 litre DOHC Jaguar straight-six.The XK150 S was introduced in 1958 and is widely regarded as the culmination of Jaguar's engineering achievements with the XK series. Indeed, the specification of the XK150 S undoubtedly paved the way for the E-Type that replaced it in 1961. The "S" boasted triple SU carburettors, a revised Harry Weslake-modified cylinder head and a manual 4-speed overdrive transmission. Performance was seriously impressive for 1958 with an enhanced output of 250bhp and a top speed of 132 mph. Engine sizes were usually 3.4 litres but a much rarer 3.8 litre emerged in 1960 only. In total, a mere 150 3.8 "S" Fixedhead Coupes rolled off the production line, of these a reported 111 were right-hand drive steering.This exceptionally rare original right-hand drive 1960 3.8S Fixedhead Coupe is finished in Claret Red with tan leather interior and has been comprehensively restored by one of the UK's leading Jaguar specialists, Marina Garage. This work was started in the 1990s and was not completed until 2000. There are photographs in the history file that show the full rebuild. The body was completely removed from the chassis and prepared over hundreds of hours. The bare metal can be seen in many pictures. The chassis was shot blasted and welded were necessary and the whole car was rebuilt from the ground up. As a testament to the quality of this restoration, 893 BFW looks as good today as when it was finally completed in 2000. The interior is a site to behold and the bodywork is in excellent condition throughout.The history file details correspondence between the current owner, Marina Garage and the former keeper. Sold new by Bellamy of Grimsby on 13th June 1960, the car has had a total of 4 registered keepers. There are a number of bills and receipts from Guy Broad and Marina Garage. Since being restored this car has covered a mere 1,000 miles. In that time the engine was also rebuilt by Marina Garage and buyers should be aware that the engine still requires running in.Since purchasing the car in February 2001, the current owner has made a number of small improvements. A power steering conversion was carried out in 2001 by Marina Garage at a cost of £3,000. This ensures easy manoeuvrability at low speeds and enables trouble-free parking. A period radio was also sourced, along with a Moto Lita steering wheel, badge bar and isolator switch. This XK150 is beautifully presented and comes from a large private collection with a wide range of open-topped vehicles. As they only see use in the summer months the 150 has been used sparingly. The vendor would like the car to go to a good home, where it will be driven and enjoyed. We have no doubt that chassis number T825270DN would take pride of place amongst any Jaguar collection in the world.