A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £24,840
Following World War II, Rolls-Royce recognised the changing requirements of its clients, shifting away from chauffeur driven cars to "owner-driver" saloon. Their first all new model was the Bentley Mk.VI of 1946, designed to be as compact as possible, due to steel rationing. Powered by an all-new engine and derived from a new family of Rolls-Royce power plants, the Mk.VI used the new B60, twin SU carburetor and overhead inlet/side exhaust valve engine with a displacement of 4257cc. The Mk.VI also broke tradition by being the first car Rolls-Royce or Bentley to have a standard body design. The four-door body was produced in pressed steel and the cars were hand-built at the new Rolls-Royce factory in Crewe, Cheshire. All cars had manual gearboxes with right-hand side mounted floor changes. Separate chassis could still be purchased for special bodied coach-built cars and these obviously commanded a higher price tag and indeed still do. "321 JGU" is one of 16 special bodied Bentleys built by the renowned coach-builder James Young and first registered 3rd February 1950. Constructed in aluminium this 2-door coupe, with its extra long bonnet and smooth flowing lines, is thought to be one of four remaining. Mechanically it is in good order; the brakes have been completely overhauled, part of the exhaust is new and the engine runs very well. It has indeed just passed a recent MoT and the chassis is solid. Cosmetically it is need of work but is an ideal rolling restoration project allowing the new owner the pleasure of using this rare piece of history while improving its appearance.