A NEW APPROACH IN AN AGE OLD BUSINESS+44 (0) 1926 691 141
Sold for: £3,584
The Munga (Mehrzweck UNiversal Geländewagen mit Allradantrieb) was built in the mid/late 1950s and the 1980s by DKW ~ Auto-Union ~ Audi, as a light four wheel drive for the German Army. Early models were powered by an 897cc motor (40hp) and very early models had part-time 4WD. From 1958 production Mungas used a larger engine of 1000cc, shared with Wartburg, DKW and other manufacturers. There were 4, 6 and 8-seater variants. The car is noteworthy because it was used by both the East and West German Armies at the same time - the East's version being manufactured as a Wartburg. The Munga on offer here has recently been cosmetically restored with an all over paint scheme and only needing a new canvas "tilt" and seats to complete the restoration, it has recently undergone a mechanical overhaul by a well known DKW expert. Driving well and expected to have an MoT by the time of sale, the car was UK imported and registered in 1979 and is believed to have been used in a number of films and television productions, apparently including "Goldeneye" and "The World is Not Enough"